|General information of Rani Mahal|
|Architectural style||Fusion of Neoclassical architecture, European styles of architecture|
|Town or city||Palpa|
|Client||Khadga Shumsher JBR|
|Structural system||Brick and Mortar|
|Design and construction|
Plan a half-day sightseeing picnic hike or tour to the beautiful Rani Mahal on the banks of the River Kali Gandaki in Palpa. Rani Mahal or Queen’s Palace was built by General Khadga Shumsher in 1892, in memory of his youngest and beloved queen Rani Tej Kumari. Due to its relative location in Kali Gandaki River over a huge rock, Rani Mahal is considered as the “Taj Mahal of Nepal”.
General Khadga was ousted from the Kathmandu power politics to Gauda-Palpa as the Western Commander in Chief in 1887 by his brother then-PM Bir Shumsher. General Khadga lived in Palpa with his family in Rani Mahal till the whole family fled to India in 1902. The nearby forest in the region is called Rani Ban while the river bank is called Rani Ghat.
Abandoned and dilapidated, the heritage site was earlier of interest mostly only to historians. With renovations and publicity, Rani Mahal is today the focus of interest for most tourists visiting Palpa. The site can be reached from Tansen by walking along a steady downhill slope passing through a narrow gorge. It is also reached by motorable road.